When I was adding HP M281 printer to XP mode, I got the”Spooler subsystem” error.
To fix it, please follow the following step, take your own risk for data loss or OS collapse.
Backup your registry first, backup all important data and App.
this will delete all your printers, you have to add them again, but this can fix the problem:
- Login in to Safe mode of windows xp, F8, or msconfig: boot.ini, choose mini
- in safe mode: delete the contents inside of those two folder, you need adjust system option to view hidden files and system files, C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
- reboot to normal mode by msconfig, normal
- edit windows registry: regedit:
- Locate and expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys:
• Print Processors
- Delete all the subkeys other than the subkeys that ware listed in step 5
- Locate and then expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers. The registry entries for the printer drivers that are installed on the computer are stored in the Version-x subkey or subkeys, where x is a number (typically 2 or 3).
- Expand the Version-x subkey or subkeys, and then delete the printer driver entries. To do this, right-click each printer “driver” subkey, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion. Delete each of the priner “Driver” subkey
- Locate and then expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:
- • BJ Language Monitor
• Local Port
• PJL Language Monitor
• Standard TCP/IP Port
• USB Monitor
- Delete any other subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed in step 10
- restart your computer, now you can add your printers again. My printer started to working once I have done the above steps. (oak)